I Love Romaine Lettuce! Here's Why:
There is a little site I like called NutritionData.com. It has a detailed nutrition label for every type of food. Here's the one for Romaine. Did you know that Romaine Lettuce is a good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Folate, Iron, Potassium and Manganese? Wow!!
When I buy Romaine here's what I do when I get home from the grocery store:
1. Cut ends off of romaine head and separate leaves.
2. Fill large bowl with cold water and put leaves into water --this allows dirt to fall to the bottom.
3. Lift leaves out of bowl and turn in a salad spinner to dry.
4. Store dry leaves in a ziploc-type bag.
5. This way your Romaine is ready to go when you need it and you are more likely to eat it all! It should be fine for a week or more!
Now - Go try this very easy and very delicious Ceasar Salad!